Here is an interesting thought on what I believe to be a common rule/law in NLP and such.. it rings that bell anyways.. following that is a list that I found amusing and bang on..;) Thanks to Mussie Shore for being part of the google friend connect demo..;)
seven +/- two
Seven, plus or minus two, is the magical range of elements that humans can easily recall. There is an extreme inflection point in the tenth element which yields a collection or pattern which is significantly more difficult to synthesize.
And so this site offers seven +/- two topics. The site will change seven +/- two times a year or, once every seven +/- two years.
– Mussie –
Seven +/- two , non-exhaustive considerations:
- One good designer will design a better product than three great designers who can’t agree.
- A diverse team, aligned through debate will make an even better product.
- You are not done, until you have removed everything possible.
- Adding unneeded features is an aggressive act of reverse vandalism.
- Icons are meant to be recognized, not read.
- Always ask, “what would possess a user to know what they should do next”?
- Happy teams make happy designs. The converse is also true.
- At the end of the day – there are things that need to be created & manipulated, collections of things which need to be located & shared. That is all.
- Screen real estate belongs to the user – not the designer. So be polite.